1. What is your full name? Do you have a nickname no one calls you anymore?
Gerald Charles Hogan. No nicknames.
2. If given the choice of any person alive or dead with whom would you want over to dinner as a guest? Why?
Barack Obama (and Michelle). I love the fact that this guy believed in himself to get elected as the first Black President when most Blacks felts they would never see this happen in our lifetime. And Michelle for her unwavering support and sacrifice to put her family thru the difficulty live that they sometimes live. I’d just want to thank them and be a personal friend.
3. Before making an important telephone call do you rehearse what it is you're going to say? What do you think about people who do?
Sometimes I do, but usually not since the conversation can take any turn and I wouldn’t want to be thrown off it the “rehearsed” words were inappropriate for the unplanned conversation. I think people that do hopefully are doing what they feel is best for them, rehearse or not.
4. Explain in as much detail as possible what would constitute a perfect day for you.
Sleeping in until I naturally wake up feeling rested. Getting on the scale and seeing a lost a pound or two. Having a couple of good meals. Seeing that my partner is well, hearing my parents and other family members are alive and well. Having a fun day of fun Facebook posts/conversations. Having a nice orgasm at some point. Maybe seeing a sitcom. Looking at the news and seeing that Obama ratings are soaring. And finally learning that I had won a lottery for at least 5 million dollars.
5. When was the last time you sang to yourself to someone else? Would you ever sing in public in honor of someone you love?
I sang Beyonce’s Drunk in Love about 10 minutes ago while watching the hot video. Probably sang a lyric or two to my partner in the car riding back from ATL yesterday. Not a singer and might would sing a song at my wedding rehearsal or something, but unlikely.
6. If you could live to 100 and retain either your mind or your body at 30 for the rest of your life which would you choose?
Probably keep my mind, I’m ok with the natural decline of the body. Wouldn’t want to burden anyone with a mindless body that I couldn’t take care of.
7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die? Would you want to know exactly how when and where you will die?
I would guess a heart attack, being an overweight black guy. Indifferent about knowing. I would be a little curious if I could find out, but not pressed to find out in the least.
8. If you could change anything about the way you were raised what would it be?
I’m actually fairly satisfied. I had a lot of love around me. If my family were a little more wealthy, it may have been more fun. But I think the circumstances I had gave me an appreciation of all my blessings.
9. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one ability or quality what would it be and why?
Being a morning person. I wish I could be happy to get up all bright eyed and bushy tailed. It would make going to morning jobs a lot easier for me.
10. Is there something you have dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it?
Not really. I used to dream of being an obstetrician and biological dad. Those have mostly faded after attempting and not succeeding at either. With age (now 42), I mostly just seek to enjoy the time I have left here. Would mind to do some traveling of exotic places, but not a strong desire.
11. What is your most treasured memory? How would your personality or life change if you discovered that the memory was false?
Graduating from college and also getting married…..times of having all my family around me. Other times would be getting a motorcycle at 14, and car at 16. Also having homemade vanilla ice cream at grandma’s and spending time with my other grandma’s with cousins and scaling fish with granddad as a kid. My life or personality would change much if it was a false memory….I would just review my memory log and appreciate other fond memories.
12. If you knew that in one year's time you'd die suddenly is there anything in your life you'd change right now?
Just not work…..visit every family member soon and also close friends.
13. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life? Do you still feel any embarrassment when you think about it?
Not really embarrassed about it now, but I was at the time... when pledging Alpha Phi Alpha, I was videotaped being mocked about my breasts. The other pledgees were made to look like they were sucking them. Not embarrassed so much about it now, but I would be for the other guys. May look even hot to me now, LOL!
14. When was the last time you cried in front of another person? By yourself?
Probably at the end of the movie The Butler, when Obama was elected. By myself was probably a month ago in the car listening to a gospel song and thanking God for being so good to me.
15. What, if anything, is too serious to joke about? Why? Do people ever think of you as insensitive?
Generally, I think rape is too serious to joke about. Being violated in that way has life changing consequences that may never go away. Joking about it is like victimizing the person again. Most people realize that I’m a fairly sensitive person, but I have been told that I can be matter of fact in my tone when talking to others at times.
16. What is the biggest misconception people have about you? Is there anything you can do to change it?
People in general assume I like sports and am strictly gay because I am dating a man. I can’t change my stature of being a big black southern man as far as the sports. And I tell people I find men and women sexually attractive if it comes up. Granted it’s more slanted towards men. But it’s not really that important that others know the total desires I have.
17. When was the last time you were afraid that you were about to die? Did you feel grateful or lucky to be alive afterward?
About 5 years ago, I was in a car accident and my life seemed like it could have ended. I wasn’t very afraid though. Never really been scared of dying. I did feel grateful to be alive and well afterwards.
18. If you were to die tomorrow is there anything you wish you would have done? Not done?
I wish I been able to pass BioChem and finish medical school to have succeeded in my scholarly endeavors. I wished I had not coerced an ex-girlfriend into sex when I was a teenager. When I look back, I would say it was date rape. At the time, I wrongly believed that couples were “supposed” to have sex, even if you had to talk them into it. I was wrong and wished I had better knowledge and values of others at the time.
19. If you were forced to flee a burning house and you could easily save any item without endangering your life or others, what would you save?
Old picture album of my childhood pictures.
20. What do you feel most ashamed about doing in your life? Most proud of?
Ashamed: Refer to question 18 about date rape.
Proud: Graduating Berea College with my Biology, pre-med degree and subsequently being accepted into University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
Gerald's favorite song as of date
Male Media Mind